Rejoice IN Today!
“This is the day the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24)
Oh, how I love prepositions! As a grammar geek, I love all parts of speech. But I love prepositions best! These little words—there are over 100 of them—are the most fun and easy to teach. In the box, out of the box, on top of the box, in front of the box, next to the box, behind the box. Kids can physically experience prepositions!
However, I don’t like the teeny, tiny preposition found in the verse above. IN. God calls us to rejoice in the day that He has made … and be glad IN it.
Be glad in this day? Arrrrr! Really? Have you seen my to-do list? Do realize work deadlines are approaching? Have you any clue the dozens of loads of laundry that need to be washed, dried, folded, and put away?
I’ll rejoice after this day. When it’s all over. When I’ve moved beyond it. Around it. Past it. When I’m through this day.
But that’s not what God commands. His desire is for us to rejoice in this day. Not look behind to yesterday; not look forward to tomorrow. Why? Why is God so concerned with this day?
Because He’s in today. He’s with us today.
- “The LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6, NIV)
- “The LORD himself … will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV)
- “I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5, NIV)
- “ ‘The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel ‘—which means, ‘God with us.’ ” (Matthew 1:23, NIV)
- “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ ” (Hebrews 13:5, NIV)
One little word has a big impact. IN. God is not only in you, He is also with you. Whatever kind of day you are having “this day,” God is in it with you!
The Israelites were in slavery. God was there.
Daniel was in the lions’ den. God was there.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were in a fiery furnace. God was there.
Jonah was in the belly of a big fish. God was there.
Paul and Silas were in jail. God was there.
Whatever you are in, rejoice and be glad, for God is in it, too! He’s with you “this day” … and every day!